Saturday, September 13, 2008

When I'm Dead I Will Wear Purple

I've been meaning to bring this up for oh, the past 15 years. What's with wearing purple when you're old? How about wearing it now? Or how about not wearing it? Red hats don't go well with purple, either. How about green? Then you can at least look like a cluster of grapes, especially if your midsection is all bunchy and dappled.

I have a hard time with old people wearing purple and showing up at tea parties dressed in red hats. Nothing against purple or red or old people or even tea parties. Goodness knows, I've downed a few cups in my day! It's just that these women are flagrantly admitting that they're old. They are probably also very big supporters of their colleges and were in women's clubs or Junior Leaguers. But everyone has kicked them out of those so they have to go around in purple and red get-ups. In other words they are admittedly old purple people-eaters and have probably gone through one too many bridge luncheons in their day.

I just hope the woman who wrote that stupid poem is making a lot of residuals off of "Red Hat Society" junk.

There, I've said it.

1 comment:

Yosemite Cat House said...

I love that poem by Jenny Joseph! You have forgotten the best part, though. The second half of the first sentence is the best. "When i am an old woman I shall wear purple with a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me, AND I SHALL SPEND MY PENSION ON BRANDY AND SUMMER GLOVES AND SATIN SANDALS, AND SAY WE'VE NO MONEY FOR BUTTER." Then there's the line that fits me to a T: "You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat . . ."